North Springs Residential Service

Are you moving? You can use this form to notify District Customer Service so we can open or close a residential service account. If this is for a commercial property, please contact Customer Service directly.

Moving in Moving out
Yes No
(9 digits, no dashes)

Please be advised that pursuant to Section 119.071(5)(a)2.a., Florida Statutes, the North Springs Improvement District (“District”) discloses that the District requests your social security number for the purpose of classification of accounts, identification and verification, credit worthiness, billing and payments, data collection, reconciliation, tracking, and benefit processing. Social security numbers are also used as a unique numeric identifier and may be used for search purposes.

I understand and agree that as a condition to receiving utility service, I will be subject to the provisions of Resolution 2017-04, as amended from time to time by the District. I further understand that unpaid utility balances constitute a lien on the real property. The property owner is responsible for unpaid balances on prior owner accounts.

I Accept



* = Required

Please send us your warranty deed if purchasing a property in NSID. Please email these documents to to start or stop water service, and be sure to include your name in the subject line. Your account will not be created if you do not email these documents.

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead contact this office by phone at (954) 752-0400, or in writing at 9700 NW 52nd Street, Coral Springs FL 33076.